Dr. La’Quetta S. Small was born and raised in Newark, New Jersey. After graduating from Central High School in Newark as class valedictorian, she enrolled in the Educational Opportunity Fund Program (EOF) at The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, now Stockton University. In 1999, she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Education and a Bachelor of Science degree in Public Health with a minor in Social Science. She received her Master’s degree in Educational Administration from Kean University in 2003 and in May 2010, she obtained her Doctorate in Educational Leadership from Rowan University.
Dr. Small is entering her 23rd year as an educator. She began her teaching career in the Newark Public School system. After completing her master’s degree, she began working in the Atlantic City Public School District in 2003. She started as a fourth grade teacher at New Jersey Avenue School. Later, she held the position of assistant principal at Uptown School Complex, acting principal at Uptown School Complex, principal at Pennsylvania Avenue School and principal at Atlantic City High School. On January 1, 2022, Dr. Small was appointed to a 4.5-year term as the first African-American female Superintendent of Atlantic City Public Schools and the first Atlantic City resident to serve as superintendent.
Working with children and serving the community bring her a great sense of fulfillment. She is dedicated to her profession and works diligently to ensure that staff and students Strive for Excellence Every Day in Every Way. She prides herself on leading by example and believes that, “Education is not preparation for life, but education is life itself.” ~John Dewey
Dr. La’Quetta Small received the following community awards:
- Best Practices Award for Innovative Instruction in Newark, J.
- National Council of Negro Women, Newark Section for Excellence in Education
- Excellence in Education Award from the National Sorority of Phi Delta Kappa
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Incorporated-Scholarship Award for Education
- Distinguished Alumna Award for Community Service and Education from Richard Stockton College of New Jersey
- Atlantic City Hometown Hero-Education Award
- In My Care Mentoring-Black Girls Rock Award
- Hiram Abiff Lodge 16-Prince Hall Affiliation-Educational Leadership Award
- New Jersey Senator James Whelan Leadership Citation
- Atlantic County Executive, Dennis Levinson Leadership Citation
- Resolution from the City of Atlantic City-City Council for Leadership in the Community and Education
- Women Who Inspire-Pennsylvania Avenue School
- Women of Virtue Award-Second Baptist Church
- Featured in Front Runner New Jersey
- Parent Advisory Council Award for Dedicated Service-Uptown School Complex
- Perfect Attendance in Atlantic City School District
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated - Educational Leadership and Community Service Award
- New Jersey Senate Commendation for Educational Leadership & Community Service
- Congressional Proclamation for Educational Leadership & Community Service
- Bangladesh Association of South Jersey - Community Service Award
- NAACP 2023 Freedom Fund Honoree (Atlantic City Chapter) - Education Award
- Atlantic County Executive - 2023 Recognition for Education
- Atlantic County Board of Commissioners - 2023 Recognition for Education
Dr. Small is a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Atlantic City Alumnae Chapter, National Sorority of Phi Delta Kappa, Inc. (Iota Chapter), The Links, Incorporated, Atlantic City (NJ) Chapter, Atlantic City Community Fund, Atlantic City Library Board of Trustees member, Epicurean Society of Southern New Jersey and former Vice-Chair of the Atlantic City Housing Authority. Dr. Small is also a member of Second Baptist Church in Atlantic City. She believes that, “Service is the price that you pay for time on earth.”- Shirley Chisolm. In addition to her community service, Dr. Small takes pride in teaching aspiring administrators and educators where she serves as an adjunct professor at Cheyney University. Dr. Small is married to the Honorable Marty Small, Sr., Mayor of Atlantic City. They are the proud parents of Jada, 15 and Marty Jr., 13 who attend school in the Atlantic City School District.
Assistant Superintendent of Schools
Dr. La'Quetta S. Small, Superintendent
Phone 609-343-7200 ext 5003
Dr. LaKecia Hyman, Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum & Instruction
Phone 609-343-7200 ext 5003