Dear Atlantic City Public School Families:
Over the past couple of weeks, we have kept you apprised of our district's responses to the COVID-19 outbreak. As we continue to meet this challenge, I am providing the following update:
School Closure Effective Tuesday, March 17th
- Over the weekend, several districts in Atlantic County and also entire counties throughout the State have made the decision to close schools. The Governor has indicated that closing schools statewide is imminent.
- On Saturday, March 14th, Atlantic County Superintendents, along with the Director of the Atlantic County Department of Health and the Atlantic County Executive Superintendent, participated in a conference call. We discussed the pros and cons of closure and also reviewed information provided by the Center for Disease Control and Department of Health.
- In an effort to join together to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, we have made the decision to close schools effective Tuesday, March 17, 2020. The closure will last until Thursday, April 9, 2020. As per our calendar, Spring Break is from April 9th through Friday, April 17th. At this point, students will return to school on Monday, April 20th. Please note that this schedule is subject to change based on new information or direction from the government.
- Therefore, all schools are open Monday, March 16, 2020. Under these circumstances, it is a MUST that students report to school to receive their chromebooks and educational materials. Our administrators, teachers, and support staff will provide students with additional guidance and reassurance about the closure. We believe this will help our students with this unprecedented school closing.
- Breakfast and lunch will be provided only for those students who qualify for free or reduced meals. Breakfast and lunch will be provided in one package and available for pick up at all elementary schools from 8 am - 11 am (see the schedule of schools below). Please note that high school students will also pick-up at their neighborhood elementary schools.
- Students who have medication at school that is needed at home should contact the school nurse or main office to make arrangements for pick-up.
- • Please refer to www.acboe.org for all the school closure Information and each building website for information regarding educational activities.
- During the remote schooling sessions, teachers will be available through email for all questions and assistance with assignments.
- All afterschool activities, games/sporting events, practices, and trips will be suspended until further notice.
Please know that the decision to close was made with much deliberation and consultation. We will provide additional updates, as needed. Thank you for your understanding and support as we navigate through these unprecedented times.
Food Service During the Closure
The following ten locations will be available for a “bagged” breakfast and lunch pick-up by those students who receive free and reduced lunch. Times and locations are listed below:
Breakfast / Lunch (one pick up for both breakfast & lunch)
8:00AM to 11:00 AM
Brighton Avenue School
30 Brighton Avenue
Chelsea Heights School
4101 Filbert Avenue
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. School Complex
1700 Marmora Avenue
Pennsylvania Avenue School
201 Pennsylvania Avenue
New York Avenue School
411 No. New York Avenue
Richmond Avenue School
4115 Ventnor Avenue
Sovereign Avenue School
111 No. Sovereign Avenue
Texas Avenue School
2523 Arctic Avenue
Uptown School Complex
323 Madison Avenue
Venice Park School
1601 N. Penrose Avenue